This article will give you all of the reasons why you should consider using ExpressVPN for gaming. We will also show you many ways in which you can set it up on your device.
Gamers around the world have recognized ExpressVPN as a very promising premium VPN. It can easily minimize ping and latency while bringing fast speeds, enabling you to enjoy fast-paced gaming across all of your devices. Because of this, we believe it is one of the best VPNs for Gaming.
Whether you’re gunning for victory in a Battle Royale or outmaneuvering opponents in LoL, a sudden lag or disconnection can spell disaster. With ExpressVPN, you’ll enjoy a reliable VPN connection and protection against DDoS attacks that can disrupt your gaming. But, the question remains – “Just how good is ExpressVPN really?“.
This guide will examine all aspects of this service, from speed to security and overall performance, in order to reach a definitive conclusion. It’s time to jump right in and see everything that ExpressVPN has to offer.
Key points for gaming with ExpressVPN
- ExpressVPN offers a stable and fast connection that will reduce your ping and improve your in-game performance. It is one of the Best No-Lag VPNs around.
- This is a premium no-logs VPN that provides 3,000+ RAM servers around the world.
It uses high-end AES 256 encryption that protects your outgoing traffic and prevents disruptive DDoS attacks.
- ExpressVPN is compatible with all gaming devices and you can install it on a router to protect your consoles.
- This gaming VPN can hold 8 simultaneous connections, allowing you to protect your whole home network.
- For the best deal on ExpressVPN, use our 49% off coupon.
What is a VPN?
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) lets you connect to one of its servers around the world to hide your IP address. Connecting to a VPN server will encrypt your data, preventing hackers or any other party from accessing your sensitive information. Sufficiently powerful encryption will also neutralize DDoS attacks that are used by hackers to disrupt your gaming by slowing you down or kicking you from a server. With ExpressVPN, you can also expect low ping at all times.
What is Ping?
In gaming, ping refers to the time it takes for your system to respond to an action, such as pressing a button or moving a joystick. A low ping rate ensures a fast, stable, and accurate connection to the game’s server, resulting in minimal delay and smoother gameplay. We recommend relying on the ExpressVPN Smart Location feature, as it will connect you to the most optimal gaming server.
Why pick ExpressVPN for Gaming?
An important question to ask is whether will ExpressVPN make a difference while gaming, or just be a waste of your money. Here are all of the benefits you can expect by subscribing to this premium VPN:
- Secure Gaming Experience – ExpressVPN protects all of your outgoing data with AES-256 encryption, preventing DDoS and other types of cyberattacks. Its Threat Manager easily eliminates trackers, malware, and annoying ads. To protect its user’s privacy, it offers multiple data leak protection tools and a powerful kill switch (Network Lock). With these tools, you will be safe even if you are gaming on public Wi-Fi.
- Improved Speed – Frequent gaming uses a lot of bandwidth, which might prompt your ISP to slow down your connection. This can significantly affect your gaming experience by causing lag at the worst moments. Using ExpressVPN will prevent ISP throttling, ensuring low ping and latency so that you can continue gaming without issues.
- Unlimited Bandwidth – There are no monthly caps while using ExpressVPN, so you can download and play as many games as you’d like.
- Gain Access to Restricted Games – Unfortunately, not all games are available everywhere. As an example, Indian gamers were unable to play PUBG for a long time. Coincidentally, ExpressVPN is one of the best VPNs for PUBG. Thanks to its vast server network, you can choose from 3,000+ servers in 105 countries and bypass any region restrictions.
- Support for all Gaming Devices – ExpressVPN is available on most modern platforms, like tablets, smartphones, and PCs. Consoles like PlayStation 5, Nintendo Switch, or Xbox Series X/S can be protected by installing this VPN on your router. This VPN is even suitable for cloud gaming with GeForce Now or Amazon Luna.
- Multiple Simultaneous Connections – ExpressVPN can hold 8 simultaneous connections, which should be enough to completely protect most home networks.
- Maintain Your Privacy – This no-logs VPN uses TrustedServer technology to erase all user data from its servers with each reboot. Also, since every server provides obfuscation, you can use ExpressVPN without anyone knowing.
- Powerful Smart DNS – If your router doesn’t support VPNs, you can use the MediaStreamer Smart DNS feature to unblock restricted games on your gaming console. However, it won’t encrypt your connection, so your security will still have some weak points.
- Money-Back Guarantee – If ExpressVPN didn’t impress you, you can use its 30-day refund policy to get your money back.
- Responsive Customer Service – You can get in touch with a support team 24/7 through live chat.
ExpressVPN Subscription Price
ExpressVPN’s annual subscription starts at $6.67/month. You can also get it for six months ($9.99/month) or a single month ($12.95). Every subscription includes a 30-day refund policy, so you can try it out without fully committing.
This is a bit more expensive than other premium VPNs we’ve covered. However, keep in mind that ExpressVPN went through the most independent audits out of every VPN we’ve encountered, which is a testament to its quality. This subscription also includes access to its excellent router firmware.
How to use ExpressVPN while gaming
Setting up ExpressVPN for gaming is a bit different on each platform, so we will do a short tutorial for every device.
1. PC Gaming with ExpressVPN
Since we want a smooth performance with low ping, it’s important to pick a good server location. When configuring ExpressVPN, you should choose a server close to your real location or to the gaming server you’re connecting to.
Here’s how to set up ExpressVPN for a computer in a few steps:
- Subscribe and download ExpressVPN’s app (get a discount with our 49% off coupon).
- Install the VPN app on your computer.
- Start ExpressVPN and register or log in by using your credentials.
- Choose any country you want and connect to a VPN server.
If you’re not sure which server to use, simply click the VPN on button. This will activate ExpressVPN’s Smart Location feature, which will choose the best VPN server for you based on the speed, distance, and latency.
- Start gaming with ExpressVPN on your computer.
2. Gaming on smartphones with ExpressVPN
By using ExpressVPN, you can easily switch regions and catch rare Pokemon in Pokemon Go. Setting up is also very simple on both iOS and Android. All it takes is for you to follow these steps:
- Run ExpressVPN and register or log in with your username and password.
- Connect to a VPN server in any country you want.
For best performance and security, you should use either IKEv2 or Lightway VPN protocol.
Note: If you want to play Pokemon Go with ExpressVPN, you will also need to install a GPS spoofing app. This is because your VPN server and GPS location have to match, otherwise you can get banned. For more information, go to our VPN for Pokemon Go article.
3. Using ExpressVPN on Xbox
To use ExpressVPN for gaming on Xbox One or Xbox Series X/S, you can create a mobile hotspot on your PC. Luckily, this is not as complicated as it sounds.
- Connect your computer and Xbox via an ethernet cable.
- Sign in to ExpressVPN on your PC.
- Find and connect to a VPN server for gaming.
- Right-click on the Windows icon, click on Search, and open Mobile Hotspot.
- Enable Mobile Hotspot.
- Next, click on Status > Change Adapter options, and find your ExpressVPN Tap Adapter.
- Right-click on it and select Properties.
- Click on Sharing and tick the box that says Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection.
- In the Home Networking Connection window, select your hotspot and click OK.
- On your Xbox, go to Settings > Test Network Connection to pair it with ExpressVPN.
- Start playing games on your Xbox with ExpressVPN.
There are other methods of setting up a VPN on your Xbox. You can check them out by reading our best VPNs for Xbox guide.
4. ExpressVPN for gaming on PlayStation 4
Setting up ExpressVPN on the PlayStation 4 is quite fast if you decide to use its SmartDNS feature – MediaStreamer.
Note: Using MediaStreamer does mask your location, but won’t protect your connection with encryption. To game on PlayStation 4 with encryption, you’ll have to install a VPN on your PC and connect to it with an ethernet cable or WiFi.
- Visit this website and find out your IPv4 address.
- Sign in to ExpressVPN.
- Open DNS Settings to register your IP address.
- Visit the ExpressVPN setup page and copy your DNS IP
- Start your PS4, and go to Settings > Network > Set Up Internet Connection.
- Choose if you want to use a Wi-Fi or LAN Cable.
For the best performance, select a cabled connection.
- Select that you want to make a Custom Internet connection.
- Choose Automatic under IP Address Settings.
- Select Do Not Specify for your DHCP Host Name.
- Manually set up your DNS Settings
- Input ExpressVPN’s DNS IP address for Primary DNS and click Next.
Secondary DNS should remain the same.
5. Using Media Streamer for gaming on PlayStation 5
Setting up ExpressVPN on PS5 is also very similar:
- Complete steps 1-4 from our PlayStation 4 guide.
- Turn on your PlayStation 5 and select a gear icon in the top right corner.
- Go to Network > Settings > Set Up Internet Connection
- Pick the network that you use for your PS5 and click Advanced Settings.
- Configure your DNS connection
Make sure that everything is set up like in the picture below. For Primary DNS, enter a DNS server IP number you’ve received from ExpressVPN. Secondary DNS should be left as is. Once done, confirm changes by clicking OK.
- Start gaming with ExpressVPN on your PS5
Setting up a gaming router with ExpressVPN
If you want to avoid setting up ExpressVPN on multiple platforms, you can just install it directly onto your router and connect all of your devices to it.
Note: ExpressVPN is not compatible with all routers on the market. If you need a new one, check out our recommendations in this best VPN routers article.
- Make sure that your router supports ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN also sells Aircove routers which are ready to use straight out of the box.
- Find your router’s IP
It is usually located on the sticker at the back of your router. If it is missing, you can also Google “Control Panel IP address for *insert router model*”.
- Copy/Paste the IP address to your browser tab
This will open your router’s Control Panel.
- Locate the VPN settings
This will depend on the type of router you use. Generally, you should find it by heading to Security (Advanced) > Administration > Router Update.
- Download ExpressVPN Firmware
Make sure that you select the correct router from the drop-down menu and click on Download Firmware.
- Enable ExpressVPN on your router
This step will vary depending on your router model. Luckily, ExpressVPN provides detailed guides for Netgear, Linksys, and Asus routers.
- Connect your devices to your router
If you have a gaming console, make sure to use an ethernet cable.
- Enjoy gaming with ExpressVPN!
Note: If you get stuck at any step, we recommend that you get in touch with ExpressVPN’s customer service. It is available 24/7 via live chat.
Optimizing Gaming with ExpressVPN
Setting up ExpressVPN is just the first step. To enhance your gaming sessions, you will want to implement these tips:
- Use Close VPN Servers – With them, you will generally get the best speeds, along with minimal ping and latency. If you ain’t sure what server to connect to, just use the ExpressVPN Smart Location feature.
- Test Your Speed – You should perform a speed test every time you join a new server. This allows you to immediately see if there’s a problem with your connection and lets you avoid mid-game frustration due to high ping.
- Choose WireGuard – WireGuard is one of the most advanced VPN protocols on the market. It will give you an instant connection to servers, top security, and amazing speeds. Basically, WireGuard is ideal for gamers. See the best WireGuard VPNs here.
- Avoid Obfuscation – Obfuscated servers will slow down your speed, so it is best to ignore them while gaming. The only exception is if you are living under a regime that employs strict censorship, like when using a VPN for China or VPN in UAE.
- Get a Wired Connection – If you are using ExpressVPN on your gaming console, you should use your ethernet cable. It will give you a much faster and more reliable connection than regular Wi-Fi.
- Enable Security Feature – To protect yourself from DDoS attacks and other types of threats, your kill switch and other leak protection features should always be on. For extra security, you can use split-tunneling to create an exclusive VPN connection just for gaming.
- Exit Unnecessary Apps – Background applications like BitTorrent can consume a lot of bandwidth and negatively affect your gaming.
- Update ExpressVPN Frequently – A new update may fix security weak points or further optimize your connection. This is why you should always download the latest client version available.
For more tips and tricks, we recommend that you check out our full ExpressVPN Review.
Potential Issues while Gaming with ExpressVPN
Although ExpressVPN is a high-end service, you may still experience an occasional hiccup. Here is a list of the most common problems users experience, along with their solutions.
- Very Slow Speed – Generally, this can be solved very quickly. To start, experiment by connecting to different servers and then running speed tests. You should also try restarting ExpressVPN and selecting a different VPN protocol. If you want to use this VPN on your gaming console, forget about Wi-Fi and only use a cabled connection.
- Can’t Connect to a Server – This is a common problem for PC users and is usually tied to a firewall. You can see if this is the case by temporarily disabling it or creating an exception for ExpressVPN. To access the firewall on Windows, visit Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Defender Firewall.
Note: You shouldn’t turn off your firewall for an extended period of time, as this will leave you vulnerable to potential threats.
- New IP Doesn’t Work – In this case, it is likely that a background application, like BitTorrent, is revealing your real identity. This is why we recommend exiting all unnecessary apps while using any VPN. Keep in mind that your browser may also contain tracking cookies that can be used to pinpoint your location. Luckily, you can easily clear them on your Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browser.
If these solutions don’t work, here is a list of VPN tests that you can do. Or, you can get in touch with ExpressVPN customer service, which is available 24/7 through live chat.
Other Gaming VPNs
NordVPN is a great gaming VPN with 6000+ servers in 61 countries. It follows a strict no-logs policy and uses RAM servers, which means that your sensitive data won’t be saved on its servers. NordVPN will scramble your outgoing traffic with AES-256 encryption, making it unreadable to third parties trying to monitor your online behavior.
This VPN supports NordLynx protocol, a powerful version of the WireGuard protocol. It is perfect for gaming as it will provide you with an instant connection, solid security, and blazing speeds. NordVPN lets you hold 6 simultaneous connections and is available on almost every modern device, including routers. It also has a Smart DNS feature, so you can use it on your PlayStation or Xbox even if it isn’t supported by your router.
Surfshark is perfect for those needing a powerful gaming no-logs VPN on a budget. It offers unlimited simultaneous connections, and you can use it on PlayStation and Xbox with SmartDNS. Its network has 3,200+ servers in 100 countries. With AES-256 encryption protecting you from DDoS and WireGuard protocol providing fast speeds, you will have a perfect gaming experience.
IPVanish is a gaming VPN with unlimited simultaneous connections and strong cross-platform support. It has a network of over 2,000 servers in 50+ countries, so you should be able to easily find ideal gaming servers. IPVanish follows a no-logs policy and uses AES-256 encryption to protect its users. It also supports WireGuard and is one of the fastest VPNs we’ve ever tested. However, it is based in the US, which is a problematic jurisdiction in terms of privacy.
In the world of online gaming, every second counts, and ExpressVPN has proved itself as a solid gaming VPN. It has a vast network with many fast servers that also provide consistent performance on both close and remote servers. This VPN also offers robust security features, including AES 256 encryption, split tunneling, and kill switch.
With ExpressVPN, you can quickly access bot lobbies and unlock restricted games and gaming platforms. In fact, it is a top VPN for Steam and is compatible with nearly every gaming device if you set it up on your router.
Whether you’re a casual gamer or a professional esports player, ExpressVPN can significantly enhance your gaming. With its risk-free trial and money-back guarantee, you can start using ExpressVPN today and experience the difference firsthand.
- Best VPN Apps
- Best VPNs for Call of Duty
- Best VPN for Android
- Best VPN for iPhone & iOS
- Best VPN for Streaming
- Best VPN for Modern Warfare 3
- Best No-Lag VPN
Is ExpressVPN good for gaming?
Yes, ExpressVPN is an excellent choice for gaming due to its high speeds, low ping, and premium privacy and security features. It has thousands of servers around the world you can use to effectively bypass geo-restrictions and join bot lobbies or play games that would otherwise be unavailable.
Is it illegal to use a VPN for gaming?
Using a VPN for gaming is legal in most countries, but it’s important to check your country’s laws first. In most cases, using a VPN is problematic only if you are doing something illegal.
Is ExpressVPN good for gambling?
Yes, ExpressVPN is a good VPN to use on sports betting and gambling sites, as it offers fast speeds and high-end security.
What are the benefits of using a VPN for gaming?
Using a VPN for gaming can improve your performance by providing a stable connection, reducing ping, and bypassing ISP throttling. Premium VPNs provide high-end security features that can shield you from DDoS attacks and protect you while using public networks.
How does ExpressVPN ensure a stable connection for gaming?
ExpressVPN ensures a stable connection for gaming by optimizing server routes, reducing ping and latency, and using advanced VPN protocols like Lightway.
The “ExpressVPN for Gaming” article was last edited on January 25, 2024.