This guide will show you why you should use Surfshark for gaming on your devices. We will also teach you how to set up this budget VPN on various gaming consoles and your PC.
Surfshark has revolutionized the world of VPNs. It offers a host of features and benefits that can significantly improve your gaming experience. Whether you’re battling it out in Fortnite or strategizing in CS: GO, Surfshark will ensure an optimal gaming speed and minimal latency, making it one of the best VPNs for Gaming.
This is a premium yet affordable VPN that allows you to quickly unlock regionally restricted games and access exclusive events. On top of that, it provides you with complete privacy and advanced security. Surfshark can also easily prevent DDoS attacks and will keep your identity safe.
In this article, we examine if Surfshark truly offers a seamless blend of speed, stability, and security — aspects crucial to any serious gamer.
And now, let’s see if Surfshark really is a top gaming VPN.
Key points for using Surfshark for gaming
- Surfshark provides advanced security features, fast speed, and instant connection.
- This is a budget no-logs VPN with 3,200+ RAM servers that highly values your privacy.
Surfshark VPN enhances gaming by reducing your latency and providing unlimited bandwidth for uninterrupted play.
- Its airtight security neutralizes all DDoS attacks and protects you on public networks.
- Surfshark offers unlimited simultaneous connections, so you only need one account to use it on all of your gaming devices.
This VPN is compatible with multiple gaming platforms, including PC, Mac, Xbox Series X/S, PlayStation 4/5, and more.
- You can get the best deal on Surfshark by using our 79% off coupon.
What is a VPN?
A VPN allows you to hide your IP address by joining one of its VPN servers around the world. Once you connect, your outgoing data will also be encrypted, which prevents third parties like your ISP from monitoring your online behavior. High-end encryption is also crucial for preventing hacking attempts.
DDoS Protection for Gamers
Imagine you’re in the middle of an intense gaming session, and suddenly, your connection is disrupted. You’ve just become a victim of a DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack. These attacks are prevalent in the online gaming world, with attackers often using them to gain an unfair advantage. Luckily, Surfshark is very good at blocking these disruptions.
Why Choose Surfshark for Gaming?
By subscribing to Surfshark you will be able to protect all of your gaming devices and may even significantly improve your connection. Here is a list of all of the benefits you can expect:
- Protection while Gaming – Surfshark uses military-grade AES 256 encryption to scramble your outgoing data and protect you from third parties. In addition, you will also get DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leak protection that guarantees your identity won’t leak online. Surfshark uses CleanWeb (a powerful VPN ad blocker) to protect you from trackers, malware, and ads. If everything else fails, its kill switch will act as a fail-safe and disable your WiFi.
- Enhance Privacy and Gain Anonymity – Similar to ExpressVPN and NordVPN, Surfshark runs only on RAM servers and follows a strict no-logs policy, so your sensitive data won’t be stored at any point. It also provides obfuscated servers, allowing you to camouflage your VPN traffic. This will give you complete anonymity as nobody will be aware that you are even using a VPN.
- Fast Speeds – If you are gaming frequently, there’s a chance that your ISP may be slowing down your connection. This can cause lag and high ping, which can easily take the fun out of playing Warzone with your buddies. Surfshark can effectively prevent bandwidth throttling and minimize your ping to improve your gaming performance.
- Unlimited Simultaneous Connections – There is no limit to how many devices you can connect to Surfshark. So, you can conveniently protect your whole home network, making this a great VPN for multiple devices.
- Strong Cross-Platform Support – You can install Surfshark on most modern devices, including your computer, smartphone, and tablet. If you set it up on your router, you can use Surfshark on gaming consoles like PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, and Nintendo Switch, which don’t have direct VPN support.
- Access Geo-Restricted Games – Some games are not available in certain parts of the world. A good example is PUBG, which was unavailable in India for a long time. Luckily, Surfshark has 3,200+ servers in 100 countries around the world, so you can bypass these restrictions.
- Unlimited Bandwidth – There is no limit to how many games you can download and play while using Surfshark for gaming.
- Excellent Smart DNS Tool – If you cannot install Surfshark on your router, you can still use its smart DNS to unblock new games on your PlayStation or Xbox. However, this connection is not encrypted, so you can still become a victim of DDoS attacks.
Surfshark VPN Pricing and 30 day risk-free trial
Surfshark proves that a premium VPN service doesn’t have to be expensive. Surfshark offers very affordable two-year and annual plans, making it one of the best cheap VPNs on the market. All subscription plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, in case you change your mind. To get the best savings, simply use the coupon below.
Getting Started with Gaming on Surfshark
Before you can Surfshark, you’ll have to set it up on your device. This process is a bit different on each platform, so we will offer a detailed description for each.
1. Gaming with Surfshark on PC
Getting Surfshark set up on your PC isn’t complicated. You’ll just have to follow these steps:
- Subscribe to and then download Surfshark (use our 79% discount).
- Follow the steps to install the app on your PC.
- Launch Surfshark and log in with your credentials.
- Connect to any VPN server that you want.
To have the best gaming experience, it is important to choose a VPN server near your location or close to the game server you’re connecting to. This will offer a more secure connection with lower ping, which will improve your multiplayer performance.
If you don’t know which server is the best for you, just use the Quick-Connect button to connect to the fastest server available for you.
- Start gaming on your PC with Surfshark.
Note: This guide is done on Windows, but the steps are basically identical for Mac users.
2. Setting up Surfshark on Xbox
We will use another method to set up Surfshark on Xbox Series X/S and Xbox One. It involves creating a virtual router aka mobile hotspot on your PC. This may sound complicated, but it is fairly straightforward. For this example, we will use our Xbox Series X.
- Log in to Surfshark app on your PC.
- Connect to a VPN server that you want to use for playing games.
- Connect Xbox to your computer via an ethernet cable.
- On your PC, go to Control Panel > View network status and tasks > Network and Internet.
- Right-click on Surfshark VPN connection and visit Properties > Sharing.
- Tick the box that says Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection.
- Select your Hotspot in the Home Networking Connection tab.
- Start your Xbox
- Visit Settings > Test Network Connection to connect your Xbox with Surfshark.
- Use Surfshark for gaming on Xbox.
Note: By using mobile hotspot you will get all of the premium VPN features, but your connection will be a bit slower than when using an ethernet cable. To get the best of the both worlds, you should install a VPN on your router.
If you want to find an alternative to Surfshark, don’t forget to check out our best VPNs for Xbox guide.
3. Using Surfshark on PlayStation 4
We can use the Surfsharks Smart DNS tool to protect ourselves on PlayStation consoles as well. For this to work, you should be disconnected from your VPN, as Smart DNS uses your real IP.
Note: While Smart DNS will obscure your real location, it doesn’t provide encryption and extra security features that come with top VPNs. If you want all that, you will need to install Surfshark on your router. We will show you how to do this a bit later.
- Figure out your IPV4 address.
- Visit your Surfshark Smart DNS page.
You may need to log in with your credentials.
- Activate Smart DNS.
To do this, visit Setup methods > TV or console.
- Copy both DNS addresses.
We will use them later while setting up the connection on PS4.
- Start your PlayStation 4.
- Connect your PS4 to PC via ethernet cable.
If you don’t have it, you will need to use a Wi-Fi connection.
- Visit Settings > Network > Set up Internet Connection.
- Select Custom and pick between Wi-Fi or LAN connection
Choose LAN as it will give you faster speeds and stable performance.
- Choose Automatic for your IP and Do Not Specify for DCHP Host Name.
- Manually configure your DNS
Paste values you’ve got from Surfshark Smart DNS under both Primary DNS and Secondary DNS.
- Use Surfshark for gaming on your PS4!
4. Play Games on PlayStation 5 with Surfshark
Surfshark is one of the best VPNs for PS5 on the market. Using Surfshark with a PS5 is very similar to our PS4 guide above, although there are a few changes:
- Follow steps 1-4 of our PS4 guide.
- Start your PS5.
- Select your connection and go to Advanced Settings > DNS Settings > Manual.
- Copy your Smart DNS values to Primary and Secondary DNS.
- Start gaming without restrictions!
Keep in mind that while Smart DNS lets you play geo-restricted games, it doesn’t encrypt your connection or provide the same features present in a full VPN. If you want to experience Surfshark at its fullest, you will have to set it up on your router. More on that later.
5. Mobile Gaming with Surfshark (iOS and Android)
You can also use Surfshark for gaming on your smartphone. This is ideal because you can quickly move to different servers and catch rare Pokemon. Luckily, setting up Surfshark on your iOS or Android is very intuitive. All you have to do is …
- Download Surfshark VPN from Google Play Store or Apple App.
- Open Surfshark and register or log in with your user info.
- Connect to any VPN server you want.
For the fastest performance, connect to a nearby server and use a WireGuard VPN protocol. If you want a more stable connection, select IKEv2 instead.
Note: Games like Pokemon Go require that you use GPS spoofing software, as your VPN server and GPS location have to be identical. You can learn about this by checking our best VPN for Pokemon Go article.
Setting up Surfshark for Gaming on your Router
We highly recommend doing a router setup if you want to use Surfshark on your gaming consoles or multiple devices at once. This way, you will improve your security and remain fully private. This is also more convenient, as you won’t need to install Surfshark on each separate device.
Note: Surfshark doesn’t work on all router models. If you need some recommendations, check our guide on the best VPN routers.
- Find Out if your Router is Compatible with Surfshark
You can do this by taking a look at their list of incompatible models.
- Figure out your Router IP Address
You can find it on the sticker located at the back of your router. If you don’t have it, just Google “ Control Panel IP address for *insert router model*.
- Visit your Router’s Control Panel
To do this, just copy the IP address and paste it into your browser tab.
- Make Changes to your Router
This is the most complicated step, as it largely depends on which type of router you have. Surfshark has detailed instructions for Asus, DD-WRT, and Tomato routers.
- Confirm that Surfshark works on your router
The quickest way to do this is by checking out your IP address. If it still shows your real location, you should first make sure that you’ve followed all of the instructions. If you did, contact Surfshark customer support, as it is available 24/7 via live chat.
- Connect your gaming console to your PC
It is much better to use a wired connection (ethernet cable) instead of Wi-FI, as you will get faster speeds and more reliable performance.
- Use Surfshark for gaming on your PlayStation and Xbox consoles
How to Get the Most Out of Surfshark for Gaming
While Surfshark is powerful right out of the box, there are things you can do to further optimize its performance.
- Use WireGuard – Especially if you are into competitive gaming, as WireGuard will give you top speeds, instant server connection, and low ping and latency. The IKEv2 protocol is also a great option with great stability.
- Use Close Servers – Closer VPN servers will give you a more consistent connection and better speeds.
- Test Your Speed – Before jumping into games, do a speed test to make sure that your VPN server isn’t overcrowded, which would slow you down. This can save you much frustration. (See our VPN test guide for more info.)
- Rely on Wired Connection – This tip is for those of you who want to use Surfshark on gaming consoles. Forget about Wi-Fi and get an ethernet cable, as it can dramatically improve your connection.
- Strengthen your Security – DDoS attacks are becoming common, so you’ll want your safety features firing on all cylinders. So, enable the kill switch, various leak protection features, and split tunneling.
- Exit Unnecessary Apps – Some of them can use a lot of your bandwidth, which can lead to high latency and ping.
- Avoid Obfuscation – Obfuscated servers will slow down your speed, which makes them bad for gaming. However, using them may be necessary if you live in a country that employs censorship.
- Update Surfshark – New updates may fix security weak points or further improve your connection, which is why you should install them ASAP.
There are many more things you can learn about this VPN by checking our full Surfshark review.
Possible Issues when Gaming with Surfshark
Unfortunately, even premium VPNs like Surfshark aren’t immune to issues. Here’s a list of the most common problems and their solutions.
1. Surfshark is Very Slow
While frustrating, lagging and high ping can usually be fixed very quickly.
First, restart your app to make sure that this isn’t a weird glitch. Next, experiment by hopping to different servers and performing speed tests until you find the most optimal connection. If that doesn’t work, try using another VPN protocol.
Also, don’t forget to use an ethernet cable if you want to start gaming with Surfshark on your console.
2. My Location Didn’t Change
It is likely that one of your background apps, like μTorrent, is revealing your true location. If you also use Surfshark for surfing the Internet, it is possible that your browser is using tracking cookies to monitor your online behavior. This is how you can quickly clear cookies and cache on your Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browsers.
Note: Clearing cookies and browsers will also remove all of your saved passwords, so you should save them somewhere before continuing.
3. I Can’t Connect to a VPN Server
In most cases, the problem lies in your firewall. We can test this theory by either creating a Surfshark exception or temporarily disabling it.
If you are on Windows, you can find your firewall by going to Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Defender Firewall.
Mac users can locate it by heading to Apple Menu > System Settings > Network > Firewall.
Note: Because of potential security issues, you shouldn’t keep your firewall disabled for an extended period of time.
If none of this helped, here are more detailed VPN tests you can follow. You can also contact Surfshark customer support, which is available 24/7 through live chat.
Alternatives for Gaming VPNs
NordVPN is an excellent option for a gaming no-logs VPN. It has 6,000+ servers in 61 countries that provide very fast, instant, and secure connections. NordVPN offers NordLynx protocol which has identical performance to WireGuard, so you will have an edge even in competitive games.
This service uses AES-256 encryption to protect your outgoing data and shield you from DDoS attacks. NordVPN lets you hold 6 simultaneous connections and provides SmartDNS, so you can use it on PlayStation, Xbox, and other gaming consoles.
ExpressVPN is a long-standing reliable VPN with powerful AES-256 encryption and a strict no-logs policy. It provides 3,000+ servers in 105 countries, so you can easily bypass regional blocks and play any game you want. Although its Lightway protocol puts more emphasis on security, it still provides solid speeds, so you can use it for gaming. ExpressVPN also offers SmartDNS and sells Aircove routers with built-in VPN protection, which are very convenient if your router doesn’t support VPNs.
You can see how ExpressVPN stacks up against Surfshark in our Surfshark vs ExpressVPN report.
Get more info about the service in the ExpressVPN review.
IPVanish is a top-of-the-line VPN service with one of the fastest speeds on the market. It supports many advanced protocols, including WireGuard. This no-log VPN can also hold unlimited simultaneous connections which pairs nicely with its strong cross-platform support. It is one of the Best VPNs for Warzone.
IPVanish also uses AES-256 encryption that protects all of the data traveling through its 2,000+ servers in over 50 countries. However, this VPN is based in the US, which isn’t an ideal privacy jurisdiction.
All in all, Surfshark is easily the best budget gaming VPN you can currently find. It provides a huge global network of fast servers, so you can expect low ping and latency. Its airtight security will protect you from DDoS attacks and make sure that you remain completely private. Surfshark easily cuts through geo-restrictions, so you can use it to play new games early and find bot lobbies. This makes it one of the best VPNs for Steam.
Surfshark is compatible with most gaming platforms. You can easily set it up on your router, which allows you to use it on all of your consoles. So, if you’re a gamer looking for an extra edge, give Surfshark VPN a shot. You might just be surprised at how much it can improve your gaming experience.
- Best VPN Apps
- Best VPNs for Call of Duty
- Best VPN for Android
- Best VPN for iPhone & iOS
- Best VPN for Streaming
- Best VPN for Modern Warfare 3
- Best No-Lag VPN
Now let’s check out some Surfshark VPN FAQs to see if we can answer any other questions you may have on using Surfshark for gaming.
Can Surfshark be used for gaming?
Yes, Surfshark can be used for gaming as it offers high-end security and a very fast connection. It can hold unlimited connections, so you can protect multiple gaming devices and use it to bypass various gaming-related geo-restrictions. Surfshark is also very affordable and preserves your privacy by following a strict no-logs policy.
What is the best protocol for Surfshark gaming?
This will largely depend on your needs and the device in question. If you want the fastest speed while gaming with Surfshark, use WireGuard. If you want to use this VPN to play games on mobile devices, use IKEv2 instead. For those of us who wish to install it on a router, OpenVPN will be an ideal choice.
Does VPN interfere with gaming?
A VPN can impact your gaming by slowing down your speed, especially if you use remote or congested servers. On the other hand, if your ISP is frequently throttling your connection, you will likely get better speeds.
Can Surfshark reduce ping?
Yes, Surfshark can reduce ping and latency and provide smoother gameplay if you use a VPN server that is close to your real location or the location of your gaming server.
What are the main benefits of using Surfshark VPN for gaming?
Using Surfshark VPN for gaming will minimize your ping and latency, protect you against DDoS attacks, and provide much-needed privacy. It will also let you play new games early, access geo-restricted gaming events, and find bot lobbies for multiplayer games like Warzone.
Our Surfshark for Gaming guide was last edited on January 25, 2024.