|Best VPNs for Fire TV Stick|
|#1||ExpressVPN with [49% Discount]|
|#2||NordVPN with [70% Discount]|
In this updated tutorial we’ll examine the best VPNs for Firestick, easy setup instructions, and Firestick VPN FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions). Our recommendations work for Firestick, all Fire TV options, Fire TV Cube, and Firestick 4K.
As online media streaming continues to grow in popularity, more people than ever are using Firestick and Fire TV to stream their favorite media. The Firestick and Fire TV models remain the best option for streaming by giving you instant access to a huge library of content, while also being compatible with many different devices.
Unfortunately, this streaming device also comes with some drawbacks when used out-of-the-box (without a VPN). If you are using Firestick without a VPN, you will likely experience these problems:
- Content restrictions – Content is often restricted to certain geographic locations. If your IP address is not in this location/country, then you will be blocked. (A VPN allows you to change your IP address to appear in any country you want.)
- ISP throttling – This growing trend is when your ISP (Internet Service Provider) throttles or limits your connection speed. This is done for various reasons, but it ultimately results in a headache and streaming troubles for you, the end user. (A VPN gets around ISP throttling and encrypts all traffic, making your activities invisible to your ISP.)
- Surveillance and privacy concerns – As we have covered here on Restore Privacy, there is a growing concern about online surveillance, privacy, and data security. By encrypting your internet traffic with a VPN, you achieve a higher level of privacy and security online. Your ISP and other third-parties will no longer be able to track and record your online activities when your VPN encrypts all traffic.
- Legal troubles – Streaming from unauthorized sources and using third-party add-ons and websites is becoming a legal issue in some areas. While we do not condone any illegal activity, a VPN will add a layer of protection by concealing your IP address and location from third parties.
As you can see, any savvy streamer in today’s world will use a VPN to maximize your content selection, privacy, and safety online.
Interest in using a VPN for Fire Stick and Fire TV continues to grow over time for all the reasons mentioned above. So what are you waiting for? Let’s examine the best VPNs for Fire Stick and then discuss installation options and other FAQs further below.
Here are the criteria we used to rank the best VPNs for Fire Stick and Fire TV:
- The VPN offers a dedicated app on the Amazon App Store for Fire TV devices (best option), or supports Fire Stick through third-party apps.
- Excellent performance on servers throughout the VPN network to give you the best speeds for streaming on your Fire TV stick (no buffering!) all the time.
- Reliability with VPN servers, apps, and all factors that can affect your streaming experience.
- Compatible with Kodi add-ons to give you more streaming options.
- Can unblock geo-restricted content, such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Hulu.
- Located in a safe privacy jurisdiction, outside of the US and other dangerous areas (Five Eyes) for surveillance and data requests.
- Reputable VPN service with a good track record. (IPVanish was caught logging users and providing data to US government agencies, but many sites still recommend it.)
Here are the best VPNs for Fire Stick and Fire TV:
1. ExpressVPN – Best all-around VPN for Firestick streaming
|Based in||British Virgin Islands|
|Support||24/7 Live chat|
ExpressVPN is currently our top pick as the best VPN for Firestick and Fire TV, for many reasons. First, ExpressVPN offers a dedicated app for Amazon devices. You can download the ExpressVPN app directly in the Amazon app store and get it set up on your Fire Stick or Fire TV in minutes.
In terms of performance, ExpressVPN is one of the fastest VPNs we have tested with excellent speeds on all servers throughout the world. ExpressVPN also has a huge global server network with 160 server locations in 94 countries. This network provides you with premium speeds and bandwidth wherever you are located.
I tested out the ExpressVPN Amazon app for a 2nd generation Firestick and it worked perfectly. By default, it uses the “Recommended Server” which will offer the best performance based on your physical location and bandwidth availability. You can easily switch between servers and also VPN protocols right in the ExpressVPN Amazon app.
Lastly, ExpressVPN also does very well in terms of security. It encrypts data using an AES-256 cipher combined with secure VPN protocols (OpenVPN, IKEv2, and IPSec/L2TP). ExpressVPN is also a verified no logs VPN service that has passed an independent audit. Being based in the British Virgin Islands helps to ensure ExpressVPN can remain a true no-logs VPN service, free from outside interference and data requests.
How to use ExpressVPN with Firestick or Fire TV
Unlike many other VPN services, ExpressVPN is one of the easiest and most user-friendly VPNs to get up and running on your devices. In addition to having a clean and minimal user interface, ExpressVPN also offers a huge selection of up-to-date tutorial videos and guides, along with 24/7 live chat support.
The video below shows you exactly how to set up ExpressVPN on your Amazon Firestick:
- User-friendly and very secure apps
- Exceptional speeds throughout the server network
- Split tunneling feature (Mac OS, Windows, and routers)
- Best VPN for streaming
- Verified no logs VPN
- Located in a safe privacy jurisdiction
- 24/7 live chat support + 30 day money-back guarantee
- Slightly more expensive (but currently offering a 49% discount below)
More details and test results are in the ExpressVPN review.
2. NordVPN – Affordable and fast Fire Stick VPN
|Logs||No logs (audited)|
|Support||24/7 Live chat|
Based in Panama, NordVPN is one of the most popular VPN services on the market and does very well with streaming, privacy, and security. It is a verified no-logs VPN service that has passed independent security audits. Like ExpressVPN, NordVPN offers a dedicated Amazon app for streaming on Firestick and Fire TV.
In terms of speed, NordVPN is also among the best, as verified with our recent tests in the NordVPN vs ExpressVPN comparison guide. NordVPN’s network consists of 5,700+ servers in 59 countries. Wherever you are located, you will be able to find a fast server for streaming on your Fire TV Stick with NordVPN.
For those concerned about privacy and security, NordVPN has a lot to offer. They recently rolled out WireGuard VPN support with all their apps, which improves speeds and security. Additionally, NordVPN is undergoing continuous audits and penetration testing with Versprite to ensure the highest levels of security at all times. Aside from WireGuard, NordVPN also supports the OpenVPN and IKEv2 encryption protocols with strong AES-256 encryption.
NordVPN also has lots of features, including double-VPN servers, Tor-over-VPN servers, and a CyberSec feature to block ads, tracking, and malware domains. There are also dedicated P2P servers with excellent speeds, making NordVPN the best VPN for torrenting in 2020.
How to use NordVPN with Fire Stick or Fire TV
Using NordVPN with Fire Stick or Fire TV is very easy because NordVPN offers a dedicated app in the Amazon store. All you need to do is download the NordVPN app from the App Store on your Amazon device, log in, and then connect to a VPN server. You will be streaming in minutes.
- User-friendly and reliable apps
- Strong encryption and security standards
- 30 day money-back guarantee
- Double-hop VPN servers and Tor-over-VPN servers
- 24/7 live chat support
- Verified no logs VPN (audited)
- Works with Netflix and many other streaming services
- CyberSec feature to block ads, tracking, and malware domains
- Big discounts only available with three-year subscription
See the NordVPN review for test results and more info.
3. Surfshark – Discounted VPN for Fire TV and Fire Stick
|Based in||British Virgin Islands|
|Support||24/7 Live chat|
Surfshark is a newer VPN service that is based in the British Virgin Islands. Like our other top Fire Stick VPNs, Surfshark offers a dedicated app in the Amazon store. This allows you to easily set up and use Surfshark with Fire Stick or Fire TV in just a few minutes.
Like NordVPN, Surfshark also offers some great privacy and security features. These include an ad-blocking feature called CleanWeb and a split tunneling feature as well. Additionally, Surfshark also has double-VPN server locations. It encrypts data using an AES-256 cipher together with the OpenVPN and IKEv2 protocols. When using the VPN for Mac, Surfshark uses only the IKEv2 protocol.
In terms of speeds, Surfshark does pretty well. In my speed tests I found nearby servers to be quite fast. However, some other servers in the US and Canada were not as fast (see the best VPN USA guide for other options).
Surfshark is also a great option for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and other services. It consistently works great for streaming without problems or hiccups. When you connect to a nearby server on your Amazon Fire device, Surfshark VPN will offer plenty of speed for HD streams.
How to setup Surfshark VPN with Amazon Fire devices
Like with the other best VPNs for Firestick, setting up Surfshark on your Amazon fire device is very simple. All you need to do is:
- Get a Surfshark VPN subscription.
- Go to the Amazon App Store on your Fire device.
- Search for “Surfshark” and then download the official Surfshark VPN app.
- Enter your login details from your subscription (username and password).
- Connect to a VPN server and enjoy streaming on your Fire device.
Here’s a screenshot of the Surfshark VPN app on Amazon Fire TV:
- Unlimited connections
- User-friendly apps for all devices and operating systems
- CleanWeb feature to block ads, trackers, and malware domains
- Works great with Netflix, Amazon Prime, and other streaming services
- 24/7 live chat support
- Split tunneling feature
- Secure encryption and leak protection features
- Variable speeds with some servers
- No OpenVPN protocol for Mac OS
Our Surfshark review has more info and test results.
4. VPNArea – Good all-around VPN for Fire TV Stick
|Support||24/7 Live chat|
Based in Bulgaria, VPNArea is another great VPN for streaming with Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV devices. It offers a good lineup of VPN apps for all major operating systems and devices. VPNArea supports Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV with a dedicated app. This makes install fast and simple.
VPNArea is also an excellent choice in terms of security with AES-256 encryption and support for the OpenVPN and IKEv2 protocols. It is a no-logs VPN that falls outside of the surveillance alliance countries, such as the Five Eyes.
If you use your VPN primarily for streaming, VPNArea has you covered. It is a good VPN for Netflix with dedicated streaming servers, and also works well for BBC iPlayer and other services. After installing the VPNArea app on your Amazon Fire device, you will have full access to all content based on the VPNArea server you select.
Prices with VPNArea are also quite reasonable, and they are offering steep discounts for the longer-duration plans. For more info and test results, check out our VPNArea review here.
How to use VPNArea with Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick
Similar to some of the other VPNs above, VPNArea offers a dedicated app that you’ll find in the Amazon App Store. Simply search for “VPNArea” and then download the app to your Fire device. From there you will be streaming in no time.
- No logs
- Excellent speed and reliability
- Works with Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and other streaming services
- Anonymous payment options
- Strong security features, with self-hosted DNS
- Ad blocking
- Dedicated IP addresses available
- 24/7 live chat support
- Limited number of Netflix streaming servers (but still works well)
- Desktop apps feel a bit clunky
5. Trust.Zone – Affordable and fast VPN for Amazon TV devices
Get a 3 Day Free Trial
(No payment info required)
Trust.Zone may not be a huge name in the VPN industry, but it remains a great choice for streaming with an Amazon Fire TV or Fire Stick. Why is that? Well, because it is easy to setup and install on your Fire device, it offers amazing speeds on all servers, and is very affordable. You can even get an extra 10% discount with the following coupon code: RESTOREPRIVACY10
In terms of security, Trust.Zone is a solid choice with AES-256 encryption together with the OpenVPN protocol and good leak protection features (kill switch). Unfortunately, Trust.Zone only offers custom apps for Windows and Android, but you can easily use Trust.Zone with Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick through a third-party app (instructions below). Additionally, Trust.Zone supports all other major operating systems and devices through third-party apps that are easy to use.
Trust.Zone is also a no-logs VPN service based in Seychelles. It is a very privacy-focused VPN, while also doing a great job with streaming support. And if you want an extra discount, paying with cryptocurrencies will give you an additional 10% off your subscription. This makes it one of the best cheap VPNs available.
How to use Trust.Zone with Amazon Fire devices
Unlike with ExpressVPN, NordVPN, and Surfshark, there is no custom app to use from Trust.Zone. Instead, you will need to enable “Apps from Unknown Sources” and then use the “Downloader” app to get up and running. After installing Downloader, you will use OpenVPN for Android with a Trust.Zone server of your choice. Then simply connect to the server and stream Amazon Fire as normal.
Detailed setup instructions and screenshots are on the Trust.Zone website.
- Competitive prices
- Great speeds and reliability
- Good leak protection settings
- Free trial (no payment info required)
- P2P torrents allowed
- Dedicated IP addresses are available
- Limited on features
- No custom VPN clients for Fire Stick, Mac OS, or iOS (but still supported)
FREE TRIAL: You can get a three day free trial of Trust.Zone here (no payment info required).
How to install a VPN on a Fire Stick
Amazon Fire TV Stick and Fire TV run on a modified version of Android firmware. This makes it very easy to use with virtually any VPN service. With this in mind, there are two main ways to setup and install a VPN on your Fire Stick or Fire TV:
- Dedicated Amazon VPN app – This is the easiest method that we discussed above. Simply search for the VPN app in the Amazon App Store, download it, and you’ll be ready. These recommended Amazon Fire Stick VPNs have dedicated apps you can download right in the Amazon App Store:
- Third-party apps – With this method, you can simply use a third-party VPN app and then load the VPN server file you want to use. We discussed this above with Trust.Zone and it is also easy to do. When you use a third-party app, such as OpenVPN for Android, it will be free, but you will need to load a VPN server configuration file from your (paid) VPN service. Then you will connect to that server location through the third-party app.
Generally speaking, I think it is best to use a dedicated VPN app through the Amazon App Store. This makes setup very easy, while also giving you full access to all of the VPN server locations. The VPN service itself will also keep the app updated and can help you troubleshoot any issues. This is why we think the best VPNs for Firestick are those that offer dedicated VPN apps (our #1 through #4 choices).
When you go with the second option, by using third-party apps on your Amazon TV device, you will also need to download the VPN server configuration files. This can add to the hassle. Additionally, switching server locations will require you to download all the server configuration files you’ll want to use.
Having problems with installing VPN apps from the Amazon Store? Do this.
Sometimes you may have issues downloading a VPN app from the Amazon App Store, even when using a Fire Stick or Fire TV that supports VPNs.
One potential solution is to use the “Downloader” app, and then load the APK file. Here’s how:
- First you need to enable “Apps from Unknown Sources” in the settings. Settings > My Fire TV > Developer Options > and then “Apps from Unknown Sources” should be On.
- Then search for and install the “Downloader” app.
- Allow Downloader to have access to photos, media, and files on your device.
- Enter the URL for your VPN’s APK file. (Contact your VPN’s support department to find where this is.)
- Select Go and install the file.
Note that this is a workaround solution if the VPN app from the Amazon App Store is not working for some reason.
Do VPNs work with all versions of Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV?
No, VPNs do not work with all versions of Fire Stick. Specifically, a VPN will not work on 1st generation Fire Sticks. Chances are, your Fire Stick is not a first generation model because this model was discontinued back in 2016. If in doubt, you can check the FCC ID code on the back of the Fire stick.
- First Generation: FCC ID 2ABDU-0509 (does not work with VPN)
All newer generations of Fire Stick and Fire TV work with VPNs. Specifically, these versions of Fire Stick and Fire TV work with a VPN:
- Fire TV (all versions work with a VPN)
- Fire Stick 2nd generation and onwards
Fortunately, even if you have a first generation Fire Stick that does not work with a VPN, there’s still a way you can benefit from a VPN. That is to use a VPN on your router (and we’ll explain this more below).
How to use a VPN on all devices with a router
If you use a VPN on your router, it will apply to all devices that connect to the router. This effectively gives all devices on your network the benefits of a VPN, without having to install VPN software on every device.
In other words, all of the devices that connect to your VPN router will have the IP address and location of the VPN server that your router is connected to. This can allow you to use your Fire Stick with a VPN, without actually having VPN software on your Fire Stick.
See our VPN router guide for more info.
How to change Amazon libraries and regions
Another benefit of using a VPN with Fire Stick is that it gives you the ability to easily switch Amazon regions. This may be useful for accessing content libraries that are geo-restricted to certain locations. And as we explained in our What is a VPN guide, getting past geo-restrictions is a big advantage of VPNs.
So here’s how to do that with your Fire Stick or Fire TV and a good VPN service:
- First, determine what country you need to appear to be in to stream the content you want.
- Then, connect to a VPN server in that country.
- Finally, change the country/region on your Amazon account to that same country (applies to Prime users). To do this, go to Your Account > Your Content and Devices > Preferences > Country/Region.
This allows you to stream content in any country of your liking.
Note that VPNs with larger sever networks, such as ExpressVPN and NordVPN, will give you more geographic options for content streaming with Amazon and other services.
Can you use a free VPN on Amazon Fire Stick?
Free VPNs have cultivated a notorious reputation over the years. Many studies have proven the dangers of free VPNs, which are basically data collection tools in disguise. After all, how can something that is completely free afford to continue operating? Answer: by making money off of the user.
I would not recommend using any free VPN service with Amazon Fire Stick or Fire TV.
Here are some well-known problems with free VPN services:
- Malware – Many free VPNs contain malware to infect your device and collect your data. One study found 38% of free VPN apps contain malware.
- Tracking – Even popular free VPN services, such as Betternet, have been caught embedding tracking libraries in free VPN apps. Avoid!
- Third-party access to your data – What do free VPNs do with the data they collect from you? Share and sell it to others (data is a profitable commodity).
- Data leaks – Another study found that 84% of free VPN apps leak data, such as IP addresses or DNS requests. This data can expose the user and render the free VPN useless.
The moral of the story: don’t use a free VPN with your Amazon Fire Stick or Fire TV device.
As an alternative, you may want to consider a VPN with a free trial.
Conclusion on using VPNs with Fire Stick and Fire TV
The Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV remain the go-to options for streaming media. These Amazon devices pack a punch and unlock a world of opportunity for streaming your favorite media.
With that being said, if you aren’t using a VPN with Fire Stick, you’re really missing out. A good VPN will unlock geo-restricted media, secure your privacy, and enhance your streaming experience without sacrificing performance.
We highlighted the best VPNs for Fire Stick in this guide, and now the choice is yours.
Comparison Table: Best VPN Services for Fire Stick and Fire TV
(30 day refund)
(30 day refund)
(30 day refund)
(7 day refund)
(10 day refund)