|Best VPNs for Fire TV Stick|
|#1||ExpressVPN with [49% Discount]|
|#2||NordVPN with [68% Discount]|
In this guide we’ll examine the best VPNs for Firestick, easy setup instructions, and Firestick VPN FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions). Our recommendations work for Firestick, all Fire TV options, Fire TV Cube, and Firestick 4K.
As online media streaming continues to grow in popularity, more people than ever are using Firestick and Fire TV to stream their favorite media. The Firestick and Fire TV models remain the best option for streaming by giving you instant access to a huge library of content, while also being compatible with many different devices.
Using a good VPN for Firestick gives you the best streaming experience possible, with unlimited access to the content you want. So let’s first cover the advantages of using a VPN for Firestick, before moving on to our top Firestick VPN recommendations.
Why you need a VPN for Firestick and Fire TV
If you want to maximize your Firestick streaming experience, then you will need a good VPN service. Simply put, a VPN is essential for Firestick users to get unlimited access to the widest selection of media, without getting restricted by your ISP.
If you are not using a VPN with Firestick, you will likely experience these problems:
- Content restrictions – Content is often restricted to certain geographic locations. If your IP address is not in this location/country, then you will be blocked. (A VPN allows you to change your IP address to appear in any country you want.)
- ISP throttling – This growing trend is when your ISP (Internet Service Provider) throttles or limits your connection speed. This is done for various reasons, but it ultimately results in a headache and streaming troubles for you, the end user. (A VPN gets around ISP throttling and encrypts all traffic, making your activities invisible to your ISP.)
- Surveillance and privacy concerns – As we have covered here on Restore Privacy, there is a growing concern about online surveillance, privacy, and data security. By encrypting your internet traffic with a VPN, you achieve a higher level of privacy and security online. Your ISP and other third-parties will no longer be able to track and record your online activities when your VPN encrypts all traffic.
- Legal troubles – Streaming from unauthorized sources and using third-party add-ons and websites is becoming a legal issue in some areas. While we do not condone any illegal activity, a VPN will add a layer of protection by concealing your IP address and location from third parties.
As you can see, any savvy streamer in today’s world will use a VPN to maximize your content selection, privacy, and safety online.
Interest in using a VPN for Fire Stick and Fire TV continues to grow over time for all the reasons mentioned above. So what are you waiting for? Let’s examine the best VPNs for Fire Stick and then discuss installation options and other FAQs further below.
Best VPN for Firestick
- NordVPN – Best all-around VPN for Firestick
- Surfshark – Fast, secure, low-cost VPN for Firestick
- ExpressVPN – Reliable and user-friendly Firestick VPN
- VPNArea – Good all-around VPN for Fire TV Stick
- Trust.Zone – Affordable and fast Firestick VPN
Ranking criteria for the best Firestick VPN services
Here are the criteria we used to rank the best VPNs for Fire Stick and Fire TV:
- The VPN offers a dedicated app on the Amazon App Store for Fire TV devices (best option), or supports Fire Stick through third-party apps.
- Excellent performance on servers throughout the VPN network to give you the best speeds for streaming on your Fire TV stick (with no buffering!).
- Reliability with VPN servers, apps, and all factors that can affect your streaming experience.
- Compatible with Kodi add-ons to give you more streaming options.
- Can unblock geo-restricted content with numerous services, including Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu.
- Located in a safe privacy jurisdiction, outside of the US and other dangerous areas (Five Eyes) for surveillance and data requests.
- Reputable VPN service with a good track record. (IPVanish was caught logging users and providing data to US government agencies, but many sites still recommend it.)
So now let’s examine the results. Here are the best VPNs for Firestick and Fire TV:
1. NordVPN – Best all-around VPN for Firestick
|Logs||No logs (audited)|
|Support||24/7 Live chat|
NordVPN is our pick as the best VPN for Firestick and Fire TV. It simply outperforms the other options while offering tons of features, a large server network, secure and user-friendly apps, along with excellent support. And to top it all off, it is one of the most affordable VPNs on the market, coming in under $4 per month.
Based in Panama, NordVPN is one of the most popular VPN services on the market and does very well with streaming, privacy, and security. It is a verified no-logs VPN service that has passed independent security audits. NordVPN offers a dedicated Amazon app for streaming on Firestick and Fire TV.
In terms of speed, NordVPN is the fastest VPN we have reviewed, as verified with our recent tests in the NordVPN vs ExpressVPN report. NordVPN’s network consists of about 5,400+ servers in 59 countries. This server network delivers excellent speeds for streaming with Firestick and any other high-bandwidth activities. Below we are getting 445 Mbps with a NordVPN server in the United States:
For those concerned about privacy and security, NordVPN has a lot to offer. They recently rolled out WireGuard VPN support with all their apps, which further improves speeds and security. Aside from WireGuard, NordVPN also supports the OpenVPN and IKEv2 encryption protocols with strong AES-256 encryption. Here are some of the other security and privacy features you get with NordVPN:
- Built-in leak protection (kill switch) with all apps to secure traffic with no data leaks
- Double-VPN servers that encrypt traffic with two separate VPN servers for an extra layer of security
- Tor-over-VPN servers that encrypt traffic with both the VPN server and the Tor network
- Obfuscated servers that will conceal VPN traffic and get around blocks (an important feature if you need a VPN for China)
- P2P servers that are optimized for torrenting with excellent speeds (we rated NordVPN as the best VPN for torrenting)
- CyberSec feature that blocks ads, trackers, malware, and phishing domains
Aside from all of the privacy and security features, NordVPN also excels in the area of streaming. We’ve already covered how it works well for Firestick — but that’s not all. NordVPN provides access to 15+ Netflix regions. It is an excellent VPN for BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Disney Plus, and more.
Lastly, NordVPN offers a huge selection of apps for all types of streaming devices. Aside from computers, tablets, and phones, NordVPN also works with Smart TVs, gaming consoles, and even routers. And with the SmartPlay feature, you will get unlimited access to your favorite streams, no matter what device you are using. And if you need help with setup, simply follow the instructional guides or connect with NordVPN’s 24/7 live chat support team.
How to use NordVPN with Firestick or Fire TV
Using NordVPN with Fire Stick or Fire TV is very easy because NordVPN offers a dedicated app in the Amazon store. All you need to do is download the NordVPN app from the App Store on your Amazon device, log in, and then connect to a VPN server. You will be streaming in minutes, and this video shows you how:
- Secure and user-friendly apps for all devices
- Strong encryption and security
- 30 day money-back guarantee
- Double-VPN, Tor-over-VPN, and Obfuscated servers
- 24/7 live chat support
- Verified no logs VPN (audited)
- Works with Netflix and many other streaming services
- CyberSec feature to block ads, tracking, and malware domains
- Big discounts only available with longer subscriptions
See the NordVPN review for test results and more info.
2. Surfshark – Fast, secure, low-cost VPN for Firestick
|Based in||British Virgin Islands|
|Support||24/7 Live chat|
Surfshark is a newer VPN service that is based in the British Virgin Islands. It is a very well-rounded service that excels with streaming, privacy, and usability. Like our other top Firestick VPNs, Surfshark offers a dedicated app in the Amazon store. This allows you to easily set up and use Surfshark with Fire Stick or Fire TV in just a few minutes.
One of the biggest advantages with Surfshark is performance. It now supports the WireGuard VPN protocol in all apps, which delivers extremely fast speeds up to 400 Mbps in our tests for the review. It even beat out other top-performers in performance, streaming, and features, as you can see in the recent ExpressVPN vs Surfshark comparison.
Surfshark also offers some excellent privacy and security features. Like NordVPN, Surfshark offers double-VPN servers as well as a CleanWeb feature to block ads, trackers, and malware domains. Surfshark encrypts data using an AES-256 cipher together with the OpenVPN and IKEv2 protocols. Whether you need a VPN for Mac, Windows, Linux, or mobile devices, Surfshark has you covered.
In the streaming category, Surfshark is also far ahead of most other VPNs. It is a great VPN to unblock Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and other services. It consistently works great for streaming without problems or hiccups. When you connect to a nearby server on your Amazon Fire device, Surfshark VPN will offer plenty of speed for HD streams. And as we pointed out in the Surfshark vs NordVPN comparison, both VPNs offer support for a large variety of devices and operating systems.
How to setup Surfshark VPN with Amazon Fire devices
Like with the other best VPNs for Firestick, setting up Surfshark on your Amazon fire device is very simple. All you need to do is:
- Get a Surfshark VPN subscription.
- Go to the Amazon App Store on your Fire device.
- Search for “Surfshark” and then download the official Surfshark VPN app.
- Enter your login details from your subscription (username and password).
- Connect to a VPN server and enjoy streaming on your Fire device.
Here’s a screenshot of the Surfshark VPN app on Amazon Fire TV:
- Unlimited connections
- User-friendly apps for all devices and operating systems
- CleanWeb feature to block ads, trackers, and malware domains
- Works great with Netflix, Amazon Prime, and other streaming services
- 24/7 live chat support
- Split tunneling feature
- Secure encryption and leak protection features
- Excellent speeds
- Full WireGuard VPN support
- Limited support for routers
Our Surfshark review has more info and test results.
3. ExpressVPN – Reliable and user-friendly Firestick VPN
|Based in||British Virgin Islands|
|Support||24/7 Live chat|
ExpressVPN is also one of the best Firestick VPNs that you may want to consider. Like our other top contenders, ExpressVPN offers a dedicated app for Amazon devices, allowing you to easily get everything setup in minutes.
ExpressVPN has always been one of the top VPNs for streaming. It is a great VPN for Netflix streaming, while also giving you access to many other streaming services, including Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Disney Plus. Their large server network includes 160 server locations in 94 countries, which allows you to find a fast and reliable server near you.
I tested out the ExpressVPN Amazon app for a 2nd generation Firestick and it worked perfectly. By default, it uses the “Recommended Server” which will offer the best performance based on your physical location and bandwidth availability. You can easily switch between servers and also VPN protocols right in the ExpressVPN Amazon app.
Lastly, ExpressVPN also does very well in terms of security and privacy. It encrypts data using an AES-256 cipher combined with secure VPN protocols (OpenVPN, IKEv2, and IPSec/L2TP). ExpressVPN is also a verified no logs VPN service that has passed an independent audit. Being based in the British Virgin Islands helps to ensure ExpressVPN can remain a true no-logs VPN service, free from outside interference and data requests.
How to use ExpressVPN with Firestick or Fire TV
Unlike many other VPN services, ExpressVPN is one of the easiest and most user-friendly VPNs to get up and running on your devices. In addition to having a clean and minimal user interface, ExpressVPN also offers a huge selection of up-to-date tutorial videos and guides, along with 24/7 live chat support.
The video below shows you exactly how to set up ExpressVPN on your Amazon Firestick:
- User-friendly and very secure apps
- Exceptional speeds throughout the server network
- Split tunneling feature (Mac OS, Windows, and routers)
- Best VPN for streaming
- Verified no logs VPN
- Located in a safe privacy jurisdiction
- 24/7 live chat support + 30 day money-back guarantee
- Above average prices
- Fewer features than other leading VPNs
More details and test results are in the ExpressVPN review.
4. VPNArea – Good all-around VPN for Fire TV Stick
|Support||24/7 Live chat|
Based in Bulgaria, VPNArea is another great VPN for streaming with Amazon Firestick and Fire TV devices. It offers a good lineup of VPN apps for all major operating systems and devices. VPNArea supports Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV with a dedicated app. This makes install fast and simple.
VPNArea is also an excellent choice in terms of security with AES-256 encryption and support for the OpenVPN and IKEv2 protocols. It is a no-logs VPN that falls outside of the surveillance alliance countries, such as the Five Eyes.
If you use your VPN primarily for streaming, VPNArea has you covered. It is a good VPN for Netflix with dedicated streaming servers, and also works well for BBC iPlayer and other services. After installing the VPNArea app on your Amazon Fire device, you will have full access to all content based on the VPNArea server you select.
Prices with VPNArea are also quite reasonable, and they are offering steep discounts for the longer-duration plans.
How to use VPNArea with Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick
Similar to some of the other VPNs above, VPNArea has a dedicated app that you’ll find in the Amazon App Store. Simply search for “VPNArea” and then download the app to your Fire device. From there you will be streaming in no time.
- No logs
- Excellent speed and reliability
- Works with Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and other streaming services
- Anonymous payment options
- Strong security features, with self-hosted DNS
- Ad blocking
- Dedicated IP addresses available
- 24/7 live chat support
- Limited number of Netflix streaming servers (but still works well)
- Desktop apps feel a bit clunky
See the VPNArea review for more info.
5. Trust.Zone – Affordable and fast Firestick VPN
Get a 3 Day Free Trial
(No payment info required)
Trust.Zone may not be a huge name in the VPN industry, but it is another reliable VPN that works with Firestick. It is easy to setup and install on your Firestick and Fire TV devices, offers amazing speeds on all servers, and is very affordable. You can even get an extra 10% discount with the following coupon code: RESTOREPRIVACY10
In terms of security, Trust.Zone is a solid choice with AES-256 encryption together with the OpenVPN protocol and good leak protection features (kill switch). Unfortunately, Trust.Zone only offers custom apps for Windows, iOS, and Android. Nonetheless, you can easily use Trust.Zone with Amazon Fire TV and Firestick through a third-party app (instructions below). Additionally, Trust.Zone supports all other major operating systems and devices through third-party apps that are easy to use.
Trust.Zone is also a no-logs VPN service based in Seychelles. It is a very privacy-focused VPN, while also doing a great job with streaming support. And if you want an extra discount, paying with cryptocurrencies will give you an additional 10% off your subscription. This makes it one of the best cheap VPNs available.
How to use Trust.Zone with Amazon Fire devices
Unlike with ExpressVPN, NordVPN, and Surfshark, there is no custom app to use from Trust.Zone. Instead, you will need to enable “Apps from Unknown Sources” and then use the “Downloader” app to get up and running. After installing Downloader, you will use OpenVPN for Android with a Trust.Zone server of your choice. Then simply connect to the server and stream Amazon Fire as normal.
Detailed setup instructions and screenshots are on the Trust.Zone website.
- Competitive prices
- Great speeds and reliability
- Good leak protection settings
- Free trial (no payment info required)
- P2P torrents allowed
- Dedicated IP addresses are available
- Limited on features
- No custom VPN clients for Fire Stick, Mac OS, or iOS (but still supported)
FREE TRIAL: You can get a three day free trial of Trust.Zone here (no payment info required).
How to use a VPN on your Firestick
Using a VPN on your Firestick and Fire TV is pretty easy with a good VPN that offers an Android VPN app. Because Amazon Firestick and Fire TV run on a modified version of Android firmware, it is easy to set up with a VPN in just a few minutes. There are two main ways to use a VPN on your Firestick and Fire TV:
- Dedicated Amazon VPN app – This is the easiest method that we discussed above. Simply search for the VPN app in the Amazon App Store, download it, and you’ll be ready. These recommended Amazon Fire Stick VPNs have dedicated apps you can download right in the Amazon App Store:
- Third-party apps – With this method, you can simply use a third-party VPN app and then load the VPN server file you want to use. We discussed this above with Trust.Zone and it is also easy to do. When you use a third-party app, such as OpenVPN for Android, it will be free, but you will need to load a VPN server configuration file from your (paid) VPN service. Then you will connect to that server location through the third-party app.
Generally speaking, I think it is best to use a dedicated VPN app through the Amazon App Store. This makes setup very easy, while also giving you full access to all of the VPN server locations. The VPN service itself will also keep the app updated and can help you troubleshoot any issues. This is why we think the best VPNs for Firestick are those that offer dedicated VPN apps (our #1 through #4 choices).
When you go with the second option, by using third-party apps on your Amazon TV device, you will also need to download the VPN server configuration files. This can add to the hassle. Additionally, switching server locations will require you to download all the server configuration files you’ll want to use.
Having problems with installing VPN apps from the Amazon Store? Do this.
Sometimes you may have issues downloading a VPN app from the Amazon App Store, even when using a Fire Stick or Fire TV that supports VPNs.
One potential solution is to use the “Downloader” app, and then load the APK file. Here’s how:
- First you need to enable “Apps from Unknown Sources” in the settings. Settings > My Fire TV > Developer Options > and then “Apps from Unknown Sources” should be On.
- Then search for and install the “Downloader” app.
- Allow Downloader to have access to photos, media, and files on your device.
- Enter the URL for your VPN’s APK file. (Contact your VPN’s support department to find where this is.)
- Select Go and install the file.
Note that this is a workaround solution if the VPN app from the Amazon App Store is not working for some reason.
Do VPNs work with all versions of Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV?
No, VPNs do not work with all versions of Fire Stick. Specifically, a VPN will not work on 1st generation Fire Sticks. Chances are, your Fire Stick is not a first generation model because this model was discontinued back in 2016. If in doubt, you can check the FCC ID code on the back of the Fire stick.
- First Generation: FCC ID 2ABDU-0509 (does not work with VPN)
All newer generations of Fire Stick and Fire TV work with VPNs. Specifically, these versions of Fire Stick and Fire TV work with a VPN:
- Fire TV (all versions work with a VPN)
- Fire Stick 2nd generation and onwards
Fortunately, even if you have a first generation Fire Stick that does not work with a VPN, there’s still a way you can benefit from a VPN. That is to use a VPN on your router (and we’ll explain this more below).
How to use a VPN on all devices with a router
If you use a VPN on your router, it will apply to all devices that connect to the router. This effectively gives all devices on your network the benefits of a VPN, without having to install VPN software on every device.
In other words, all of the devices that connect to your VPN router will have the IP address and location of the VPN server that your router is connected to. This can allow you to use your Fire Stick with a VPN, without actually having VPN software on your Fire Stick.
See our guide on VPN routers here for more info.
How to change Amazon libraries and regions
Another benefit of using a VPN with Fire Stick is that it gives you the ability to easily switch Amazon regions. This may be useful for accessing content libraries that are geo-restricted to certain locations. And as you probably know, getting past geo-restrictions is a big advantage of VPN services.
So here’s how to do that with your Fire Stick or Fire TV and a good VPN service:
- First, determine what country you need to appear to be in to stream the content you want.
- Then, connect to a VPN server in that country.
- Finally, change the country/region on your Amazon account to that same country (applies to Prime users). To do this, go to Your Account > Your Content and Devices > Preferences > Country/Region.
This allows you to stream content in any country of your liking.
Note that VPNs with larger sever networks, such as ExpressVPN and NordVPN, will give you more geographic options for content streaming with Amazon and other services.
Is there a free VPN for Firestick?
We do not recommend using a free VPN for Firestick.
Free VPNs have cultivated a bad reputation over the years, and for good reason. Many studies have proven the dangers of free VPNs, which are basically data collection tools in disguise. After all, how can something that is completely free afford to continue operating? Answer: by making money off of the user.
I would not recommend using any free VPN service with Amazon Fire Stick or Fire TV.
Here are some well-known problems with free VPN services:
- Malware – Many free VPNs contain malware to infect your device and collect your data. One study found 38% of free VPN apps contain malware.
- Tracking – Even popular free VPN services, such as Betternet, have been caught embedding tracking libraries in free VPN apps. Avoid!
- Third-party access to your data – What do free VPNs do with the data they collect from you? Share and sell it to others (data is a profitable commodity).
- Data leaks – Another study found that 84% of free VPN apps leak data, such as IP addresses or DNS requests. This data can expose the user and render the free VPN useless.
The moral of the story: don’t use a free VPN with your Amazon Fire Stick or Fire TV device.
As an alternative, you may want to consider a VPN with a free trial.
Conclusion on using VPNs with Fire Stick and Fire TV
The Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV remain the go-to options for streaming media. These Amazon devices pack a punch and unlock a world of opportunity for streaming your favorite media.
With that being said, if you aren’t using a VPN with Fire Stick, you’re really missing out. A good VPN will unlock geo-restricted media, secure your privacy, and enhance your streaming experience without sacrificing performance.
We highlighted the best VPNs for Fire Stick in this guide, and now the choice is yours.
Firestick VPN Comparison Table
(30 day refund)
(30 day refund)
(30 day refund)
(7 day refund)
(10 day refund)