This article looks at the best VPNs for YouTube TV, and also how to unblock YouTube TV and watch your favorite streams from anywhere in the world.
Youtube TV has recently reached 4 million subscribers, which makes it a direct competitor of Hulu. As a multi-channel streaming service, it gives its users access to 85 high-quality programs. Unfortunately, Youtube TV is only available in the United States — but there is an easy fix.
If you try to access it from another country, you will usually get this message that YouTube TV is not available in your region, and only available in the US.
This happens because Youtube TV uses geo-blocking. Furthermore, even if you are living in the US, certain channels will be unavailable depending on your location. This is known as blackouts and it happens because of various licensing rights that control the distribution of content.
Fortunately, a good VPN (virtual private network) service will allow you to solve both problems. You’ll be able to watch YouTube TV from outside the US, and also unblock regional blackouts.
Nonetheless, it can be quite challenging to find the best VPN for unblocking YouTube TV. We’ve tested and compared dozens of them to find the best VPNs for Youtube TV. After extensive research, three VPNs became clear winners.
Top VPNs for YouTube TV
- NordVPN – Best VPN for YouTube TV. Large network of fast servers for streaming, reliable apps, plus great prices with the 67% off coupon.
- Surfshark – Budget-friendly and secure VPN for YouTube TV with unlimited connections.
- ExpressVPN – A premium VPN for YouTube TV with great support for streaming.
How to use a VPN to stream Youtube TV [Quick Guide]
1. Subscribe to a premium VPN
We found that NordVPN works the best (for best savings use this 67% off coupon).
2. Install and run your VPN app
Every VPN we recommend in this guide offer VPN apps or support for all major devices and operating systems.
3. Choose a US server to connect to
Youtube TV will work better if the server is close to your real location.
4. Sign up to Youtube TV
You will need to use gift cards or create a US digital credit card to buy a subscription. We will cover both options in our full guide below.
5. Stream Youtube TV with a VPN
How VPNs work
VPNs give you online privacy and anonymity by establishing a secure connection to a VPN server. A VPN will encrypt your internet traffic and also hide your IP address. This conceals your true location, thereby allowing you to watch Youtube TV without any restrictions.
When you connect to the VPN server in the US, you will automatically get a unique US IP address. However, this alone isn’t enough to successfully stream Youtube TV. Many VPN services are actually unable to pass YouTube’s blocking algorithms and their domains are marked as suspicious. To make sure you don’t encounter this problem, we recommend using only established VPN services recommended in this guide.
How we found VPNs for streaming Youtube TV
We make sure to present you with VPNs that:
- Bypass YouTube’s geo-blocking algorithms
- Instantly connect you to a massive network of high-speed US servers
- Protect their users with powerful encryption and advanced security tools
- Work in RAM-disk mode which leaves no digital trace of your whereabouts
- Have an app for most modern devices, ranging from PCs and Androids to Amazon Fire Stick and even gaming consoles.
- Are backed by a professional support team available 24/7
Some VPNs on this list go above and beyond our criteria, which truly sets them apart from the competition.
NordVPN – The best VPN for YouTube TV
NordVPN is widely regarded as one of the best VPNs on the market. With 1900+ servers just in the US, it also works great for streaming Youtube TV. With it, you will be able to watch your favorite channels seamlessly even in 4K quality. NordVPN’s large network of premium servers ensures no bandwidth issues, lagging, or buffering.
NordVPN uses NordLynx, which is the fastest protocol currently available. It is a more efficient version of the WireGuard, a protocol already known for its strong security and excellent server connections. Both provide military-level AES encryption.
We’ve done a lot of tests, and NordLynx frequently managed to exceed our expectations. The best result came from a Seattle server, where we reached a download speed of 755 Mbps. For more details, you should read our ExpressVPN vs NordVPN article.
Above all, NordVPN values its customers’ privacy. By placing their headquarters in Panama, NordVPN is able to implement a no-logs VPN policy, with Panama having no mandatory data retention laws. Additionally, all NordVPN servers operate fully in RAM-disk mode. The logic is that without any hard drives to save the data, users will always remain safe.
NordVPN has verified that its no-logs VPN policy is the real deal through external audits. A comprehensive one was done by a PwC, which confirmed that the service adheres to its privacy policies. VerSprite, a reputable cybersecurity company, did extensive penetration testing. Additionally, there was also a security audit of NordVPN conducted by Cure53, further bolstering trust.
NordVPN Advanced Features
- Threat protection – Blocks malicious threats and ads, and stops phishing attacks. It also scans downloaded files and deletes ones compromised by malware.
- Dedicated IP address – An exclusive IP address is available for an added cost. (See our static IP VPN guide for more details.)
- Obfuscated servers – Makes your VPN traffic appear as HTTPS to hide the fact that you are using a VPN. This is useful if you need a VPN for UAE, China, or Russia.
- Double-VPN servers – Encrypts traffic through two separate VPN servers. Offers extra protection at the cost of speed.
- Onion-over-VPN servers – Join the Tor network for the safest browsing experience. Not great for streaming Youtube TV as it can be painfully slow.
- VPN proxy extension – A lightweight NordVPN extension for browsers.
- SmartPlay – Stream YouTube TV from a device that doesn’t have VPN support, such as a gaming console.
- Kill Switch – Depending on your preference a VPN kill switch will close your app or block all traffic if the connection drops.
Besides being the best VPN for YouTube TV, NordVPN will also give you access to a number of popular streaming sites. You can use it as a reliable VPN for HBO Max or to easily watch Hulu from abroad. The NordVPN app is available across many devices and is very easy to use.
While unlikely, it’s possible to encounter some problems. In that case, you can turn to their 24/7 professional chat support. Since this ain’t the cheapest VPN on our list, knowing that there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee should put you at ease. With one subscription you will be able to connect 6 devices simultaneously.
- User-friendly and reliable apps
- Double-VPN and Tor-over-VPN servers
- Passed numerous 3rd-party audits
- Strong encryption standards with full support for WireGuard
- Works with Netflix and many streaming sites
- Threat Protection feature to block ads, trackers, and malware
- Professional 24/7 live chat support
- Consistently fast speeds
- Dedicated RAM-servers with 10 Gbps bandwidth channels
- Big discounts only available with 2-year plans
There’s a lot more to learn, so you might want to read this NordVPN review.
Surfshark – Watch YouTube TV with a budget VPN
Since launching in 2018, Surfshark has managed to become one of the top VPN providers. It achieved this by providing premium service at an affordable price. Without a doubt, Surfshark is the best cheap VPN for YouTube TV, coming in under $3 per month.
Surfshark is based in The Netherlands, which is a good privacy-friendly jurisdiction that does not have data retention laws. Both Surfshark and NordVPN also fall under the Nord Security parent company, following a merger in 2022.
Surfshark offers over 600+ US servers to choose from. They are situated in large cities like New York, Portland, and LA. Every server in the Surfshark network supports WireGuard, so you can expect great speed, instant server connection, and military-grade encryption.
While a bit slower than NordVPN, our ExpressVPN vs Surfshark article showed that it easily lets you stream YouTube TV in 4K from abroad. We were most impressed with the results of a speed test done from the New York sever at nearly 400 Mbps download speeds.
The fact that Surfshark is based in The Netherlands is great from a security and privacy perspective. It allows their servers to operate from the RAM-disk mode, meaning they don’t use hard drives and can’t store any user data. On top of this, Surfshark aims for complete transparency by sharing a warrant canary – a statement that tracks requests they’ve received for disclosing data.
The service also passed through two external audits. The most important was from a German cybersecurity company Cure53. It focused on iOS and Android browser extensions and concluded that there were no privacy and security problems. For more details, you can check out the full pentest report.
All of this places Surfshark among the best no-logs VPN services we have tested.
Surfsharks Premium Tools
Bypasser (Split Tunneling) – Choose which apps and websites can bypass Surfshark. This makes it a great VPN for torrenting since you can easily achieve your max download speed.
Kill Switch – In case your VPN connection drops, Surfshark will protect your privacy by disconnecting you from the Internet.
Camouflage mode – Works like NordVPNs Obfuscated Servers.
CleanWeb – Blocks intrusive ads and stops malware and trackers in real time.
MultiHop – Gives you more protection at the detriment of speed by passing your traffic through two VPN servers. Right now Surfshark has 14 MultiHop servers.
Aside from being affordable, a single subscription will let you use Surfshark on an unlimited number of devices simultaneously. This feature is usually reserved for more expensive VPNs, so we were very pleasantly surprised.
Surfshark also has reliable customer support that’s available 24/7. In case you are still skeptical, you can try it out without committing thanks to their 30-day money-back offer.
- Unlimited connections
- User-friendly apps for all devices and operating systems
- CleanWeb feature to block ads, trackers, and malware
- Works great with Netflix and many other streaming services
- 24/7 live chat support
- Strong encryption and security features (audited)
- Limited support for VPN routers
- Above average monthly prices
For more technical details, check our in-depth Surfshark review.
ExpressVPN – A reliable VPN
Lastly, we have a veteran service that has become one of the most popular VPNs since its inception in 2009. ExpressVPN built a vast network of 3000+ servers all over the world, including 29 server locations in the United States.
ExpressVPN is another no-logs service, run exclusively in RAM disk mode based on TrustedServer technology. This is possible because ExpressVPN operates from the British Virgin Islands, a country that values privacy and has no data retention laws. In short, its security is well above that of regular VPN services.
This was confirmed through 11 external audits done over the years. One of the most important came from Cure53, which extensively covered ExpressVPN’s Lightway protocol and applications. You can read the full pentest report here.
ExpressVPN uses Lightway protocol, which is the company’s response to the WireGuard. While they are pretty even in terms of security, Lightway is somewhat slower. However, it still beat out other large VPNs, as you can see in the CyberGhost vs ExpressVPN comparison.
- Device Groups – Allows you to connect each device on a different server at the same time.
- MediaStreamer – SmartDNS tool which unlocks streaming on devices that don’t allow VPNs. While useful, MediaStreamer is also risky since it doesn’t encrypt your traffic.
- Network Lock (Kill Switch)
- Split Tunneling
- Threat Manager – Blocks suspicious domains, trackers, and intrusive ads.
Although this is not the fastest VPN for watching Youtube TV, it has some advantages. For example, ExpressVPN is available on almost every modern platform you can think of. In fact, it is one of the best VPNs for Firestick. There are also lightweight extensions for all popular browsers. They will stop WebRTC leaks and securely connect you to the websites. With ExpressVPN you can unlock many other streaming sites, and people find that it’s a great VPN for Hulu.
ExpressVPN is also welcoming to new users. This is in part due to the minimalistic interface and professional 24/7 customer support that is always a click away. Their 30-day refund policy means that you can try it out without any risks.
- User-friendly and secure apps
- Split tunneling feature (for macOS, Windows, and routers)
- Works with Netflix and most streaming services
- 24/7 live chat support
- Passed independent third-party audits for security and no-logs
- Very large server network
- Above average prices
- Fewer features than other leading VPNs
If you have more questions, our ExpressVPN review will satisfy your curiosity.
How to watch YouTube TV with a VPN [Full Guide]
Let’s see how you can use these premium VPNs to access YouTube TV from abroad. This can be done with five simple steps.
1. Subscribe to a VPN
We recommend NordVPN as its overall the best VPN for streaming YouTube TV. But, if you want to save some money, Surfshark and ExpressVPN, will also do a good job. All three of them are intuitive and have plenty of servers in the US.
2. Install and start your VPN
!Note: If you plan to stream YouTube TV from your mobile device you will need to change your Google Play or App Store location to the United States. Here’s how you can switch it on iPhone (this procedure is very similar on Android).
- Go to Settings > Profile > Media and Purchases > View Account
Confirm your identity via Touch ID or type in your password.
- Under Country/Region, select Change Country or Region and find the US.
Go through the terms and conditions and write in “your” US phone number and address. You can use a US address generator and copy the data. To confirm your new location, click Done.
All of the services we’ve mentioned made it to our best VPN for Android list.
3. Connect to a server in the United States
You will get the best speeds if you choose the one that is closest to your real location.
4. Sign up for YouTube TV
Keep in mind that this isn’t a free service, and you will have to pay $64.99/month.
5. Watch YouTube TV with your VPN
How to subscribe to YouTube TV
Since Youtube TV is exclusive to the US, it can be challenging to purchase a subscription. Your account will get blocked if you use a debit or credit card not based in the US. Luckily, there are 4 alternatives we can take.
Unlike many similar streaming services, YouTube TV lets you pay with PayPal. Better yet, it doesn’t check if you have an American account. If you don’t have PayPal, you can quickly create it here.
- Get a premium VPN
- Connect to the closest US server
- Sign up to YouTube TV
Under the payment section, select PayPal as your payment method. Enter your account information and accept the terms to get a subscription.
- Stream YouTube TV
2. Google Play Gift Cards
YouTube TV also accepts gift cards. Follow these 7 steps to get your Android subscription.
- Subscribe and download your premium VPNs
We advise you to use NordVPN, as it is the best VPN for YouTube TV.
- Connect to a server located in the US
- Make a new Google account and pick the US as your region
- Visit the Google Play Store and buy a gift card
Copy the code from your email and click redeem in the top right corner to move funds to your account
- Download the YouTube TV app from the Play Store
- Sign up and put Google Play as your payment option
- Watch YouTube TV with your VPN
3. Apple Gift Cards
If you have an iOS device this will be your best option.
- Start your premium VPN
- Connect to the US server
- Switch the region on your mobile device
Go to Settings > Apple Account > Media and Purchases > Change your country/region and select the United States.
- Relog in and visit the US app store
- Download the YouTube TV app
- Visit Amazon and purchase an Apple Gift Card
- Sign up for the YouTube TV app
Use a US address generator to fill in the details and redeem the code in the payment section. If you want you can select extra channels.
- Start streaming YouTube TV with your VPN
4. Digital Credit Card
Lastly, you can create a virtual US prepaid card completely free with a site like StatesCard.
- Run your premium VPN
- Connect to a US server
- Go to StatesCard and create a new account
- Send your money to StatesCard via credit card or PayPal
At this point, you will have to confirm your identity. You can use an ID, a passport, or your driver’s license.
- Pick your subscription option and create a YouTube TV account
Under payment method, you will need to put in your StatesCard account details.
- Start watching Youtube TV with your VPN
What does YouTube TV offer?
Its price can easily startle you since it costs a lot more than Hulu or Netflix. The reason for that is that YouTube TV offers 80+ live channels. We’ll mention the most popular below, and you can find the full list here. Keep in mind that some channels will be unavailable from a certain location.
- Adult Swim
- Animal Planet
- Cartoon Network
- Comedy Central
Aside from the regular subscription, Youtube TV also offers extra channels you can purchase separately. This includes HBO, AMC Plus, Cinemax, NBA League Pass, Showtime, and many more. The price of these channels is usually between $5 and $10.
What to watch on Youtube TV
With 85 channels, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. These are some of the best shows and movies currently available.
- House of the Dragon
- Better Call Saul
- Cobra Kai
- The Dark Knight
- Train to Busan
- Escape the Night
List of devices that support Youtube TV
- Apple TV
- VR Amazon Fire Stick
- Fire TV
- PS4, PS5
- Samsung Smart TV
- Xbox Series X
- Xfinity TV
I can’t stream Youtube TV with my VPN
Streaming sites will often try to block access for VPN services. Youtube TV isn’t an exception and has specialized algorithms whose job is to detect and block suspicious domains. So, one day you may find that your VPN isn’t working anymore. To fix this, make sure that your…
1. GPS isn’t synced with your new IP address
Luckily, NordVPN and ExpressVPN should both change your GPS location automatically. If you are using Surfshark’s app, visit Settings > Advanced Settings, and turn on Override GPS location.
2. Tracker cookies show your actual location
Tracker cookies might reveal your location even if you use a premium VPN. The easiest way to fix this is to clear your browser’s cookies and cache. Here are instructions on how to do this on Google Chrome and Firefox. While effective, this will delete your passwords and preferences, so you will need to copy them somewhere beforehand. If this didn’t work, you should use a different browser.
3. New IP address isn’t working
Go to the settings in your VPN app and turn on the Leak protection if it’s available. A good way to check if it worked is by visiting a speed test website, as it will show your current location.
If you are still experiencing issues, you can use our test your VPN guide for more troubleshooting. It is also a good idea to contact your VPN customer service. In case nothing works, it’s time to pick a new VPN app.
4. Device supports VPN
If it doesn’t, you will need to get a VPN router. Nowadays, they are pretty affordable and you don’t need to be tech-savvy to set them up. The step-by-step instructions in this VPN router guide will be very useful.
You can also check our recommendations for the perfect VPN routers for Apple TV.
Can I watch Youtube TV with a free VPN?
There are hundreds of free services available, so you might question why even spend money on a premium VPN. The next two sections will focus on why this isn’t such a great idea.
1. Disappointing download speed
While NordVPN and Surfshark use WireGuard or NordLynx, free services choose the OpenVPN protocol. Unfortunately, since it’s open source, it is significantly slower. You can expect frequent buffering and frame drops while using it. Streaming Youtube TV in 4K quality won’t be possible.
2. Low data cap
Almost all free VPNs have a monthly limit on data spending. Usually, it sits between 500MB and 1GB. This is very disappointing since you can spend that amount in a single day. It’s also likely that you will reach this cap while in the middle of watching a show. As you can imagine, this is very annoying.
3. Poor server network
Free VPNs have far fewer servers to connect to. This means that you might not be able to access regionally restricted channels. Considering that Youtube TV is very expensive, this would be very counterproductive.
In short, free VPN apps have major limitations due to a lack of funding. But it doesn’t end there. A new study done on 270+ free Android VPNs concluded that there are many security risks:
- >84% of mobile VPNs don’t provide encryption, leaking user IP
- 75% utilize tracking libraries to monitor their users
- More than 38% of VPN apps contain malware
Not only are free VPNs severely limited, but they can also be very unsafe. A wide majority of them trick their users with a promise of security, only to deliver apps that infect your device and steal user info to sell it for money.
However, after some digging, we found seven free VPNs that actually fulfill their promise. Granted, these are not the best apps for streaming YouTube TV, but they sure beat the alternative.
Best VPN for YouTube TV FAQ
Can I watch Youtube TV with a VPN?
Yes, but you should use a premium service so that your VPN IP address doesn’t get blocked. We recommend using NordVPN, Surfshark, or ExpressVPN.
Is it legal to use a VPN for streaming Youtube TV?
Yes, but keep in mind that this is against Youtube’s terms and conditions. In the worst-case scenario, your IP will get blocked and you will have to hop on a new server. But that is unlikely to happen if you use the best VPNs for Youtube TV.
How can I change Local Channels on Youtube TV?
Go to your profile on Youtube TV. Click on Settings>Area>Home Area>Update Home Area. Add a new location and you should be able to access Local Channels that are otherwise geo-restricted.
Note: This guide on the best VPNs for YouTube TV was last updated on January 21, 2024.